Every writer wants to be successful. We wouldn’t be writing if we didn’t want to sell books. After all, we put our heart and soul in our books. If everyone strives to be successful why do so many fail? Let’s look at some reasons.
- The book is not written well. At Mantle Rock Publishing we go through a book several times to correct grammar and punctuation. We also look at ellipsis. em dashes, and italics. Those are three things that at times are used wrong.
- The cover does not tell anything about the book. Each of us want certain things on a cover. Sometimes something is not mentioned a lot, but you feel it should be in the cover. If the cover does not hint something about the book, your book won’t sell. We like an outstanding cover, and I feel we have the best cover designer in the business.
- Too many POVs. Once I read a book that had about nine POVs. Can I say I got lost? Many of them were useless. The story could have been told better without all of those POVs. It confuses a reader with more than two or four POVs. Personally I like to keep mine at two.
- The plot falls apart. This happens so much. If you have to write a chapter synopsis to keep everything in place, do it. Ask someone to brainstorm with you. Usually when someone else is thinking with you, you’ll come up with an idea.
- Head hopping. This is one thing I hate, and I’m reading a series right now that is full of head hopping. One paragraph will be in one person’s head and the next in someone else’s. It’s very confusing, but the stories and the plot are good. I keep reading, but I do get confused at times.
- Have hooks at the end of the chapter and scene. This is what keeps a reader turning the page. If you are writing a series put a good hook at the end of the last chapter. That will make people want to buy the next book.
- Make your main characters likable. People have told me they didn’t like the main character in my first book. She starts out a little snooty, but she changes by the end of the book. Readers liked her at the end of the book. Readers want to put themselves in the place of the main character as they read. Make that character lovable.
I hope these points help you with your writing. I also hope you are enjoying the blogs with several of our authors. I enjoy reading their blogs.